Thursday, August 28, 2014

Chasing Holdsworth's tone

      The first time I heard Allan Holdsworth I was 16 years old. I remember reading online someplace that he was a completely unique player that resembled John Coltrane on guitar. Being a huge fan of Coltrane I thought I'd check him out. I bought 'Metal Fatigue' on LP for about $2 despite the fact that I didn't have a record player(nobody was listening to records anymore back then). Luckily my uncle had one and I remember thinking it sounded a bit dated, but interesting. Then it got to the solo and I was blown away. As I listened to more songs on the album I couldn't believe what I was hearing. The tone, the technique, the melodic-ism, the harmonies. It was all so impressive and it still is. It took me a long time to figure out how to get close to his tone. It's not exact, but hopefully I can help some people get close to his tone. Anyway here is the video explanation of how I go about getting his tone.


If you don't want to listen to the explanation just watch this, which is just the demo songs.



If you enjoyed these videos subscribe to the Chandlerguitar youtube page.

No comments: